The Angela Theatre opened for the first time on October 11, 1949 with
Abbott & Costello in “Africa Screams”. The Angela was named for the daughter of the person who built the theatre. It
seated 711 people on its one floor and was Art Deco in design.
It had a large lobby and an unusual prism glass proscenium arch with
colored lights located behind it that gave an interesting effect. It
also had a large V-shaped marquee containing large letters spelling out
the theatre’s name.
It closed around 1970 and was basically abandoned until
around 1997 when an enterprising person, who still owns the building and runs the theater (that in itself is a good combination), purchased the building and
began the tremendous job of restoration. The theatre was essentially a
shell that had to be fully rebuilt. The entire family was involved with
this work which took a number of years. The auditorium has now been
split into three screens, the first reopened in 1999. The main
auditorium with Dolby Stereo sound now has 240 seats and is an incredible site to see. The
proscenium arch has been restored and the auditorium now offers stadium
seating. The marquee has also been fully restored. The two smaller
screens each seat 101 and are very comfortable as well.